Skip to main content

The African Doctor

Doctors in Kenya have threatened to paralyse services in health institutions on December 5, to push for a 300 per cent wage increase. The Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists and Dentists Union (KMPDU) over the last couple of months have successfully organized themselves on social networks and led largely by young doctors are now in negotiations with the government for pay increase.

This is not an uncommon story in Africa. Health-care systems on the continent are crippled by mass exodus of health-care workers to Namibia, Botswana and South Africa and consultants to practice abroad. Those countries are said to offer better scheme of services and do better because of augmented labour-force from neighbouring countires such as Zimbabwe, Kenya and Uganda.

It is a vicious cycle.

I came across a blog yesterday from a young medical doctor working in Kenya which summarised the plight of the African Doctor quite impressively. It struck a chord with me, as a young doctor myself who did her internship in a government hospital too. Dr Judy Gichoya addressed a letter to 'the Kenyan patient' stating some of the hardships health-care workers have to go through but interestingly also turned it around to the patient. There are some things patients in Africa do which make the already meagre services that much more difficult to render. Here is an excerpt of her post:

 "When you as a patient makes several visits from one local traditional healer to another and bring your poisoned child and lie about it, I will not work a miracle. I have no access to ICU services and I have not toxicology support to work up what the poison is. When all people in your village go blind and you continue to drink illegal alcohol, if you continue to consume the same brew you will go blind by the time you arrive in the hospital. I appreciate second opinions, but when you keep paying money to a quark that treats you for a “weak heart” and you stop your antihypertensive medications, you will get a stroke, and there is nothing I can do about that. Moreover, if you are pregnant, but decide to stay at home with no antenatal care because the last pregnancy was fine, remember hypertension is a leading killer and if you come with eclampsia you have a high likelihood of dying. Kenyan, when was the last time you had a pap smear or visited a wellness clinic?"

Rumblings of a Geek, Health Informatician & Medical doctor



She asks for the patient to take responsibility of their health to make life easier in the treatment. Find The Informatics Daktari's blog here.

These are some of the many challenges facing the African Doctor. It is sad that it has come to doctors downing tools for governments to act on obviously detrimental conditions. The even sadder part is the people will suffer first before any change will be brought about.


What are your views?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's your 'Real Age'?

RealAge, Inc. is an American media corporation that provides health information to consumers. The company’s stated mission is to encourage consumers to maximize their health and wellness by making their "RealAge" younger. It was founded by media medic, Michael Roizen , currently the chief wellness officer at The Cleveland Clinic . log on to realage.com So basically its a website which asks you a bunch of questions then it tells you what age you really are. It will ask you things like from 'how much do you drink' to 'how many orgasms do you have a week' and so on. It is a long quiz. Apparently since it started in 1999, 27 million people have taken the test. Guess everyone wants to live life to the youngest! So of course I took the test..and I am not revealing my real age. I was appalled to say the least! And now they are sending me all sorts of suggestions about how I can 'regain my youth' e.g:   Burn More Fat with These

Is Everyday One Word or Two? English Test Woes

IELTS (pronounced alternatively by people as EYE-Elts and EYE-Lets) is the standardized international English test from the UK and Australia, equivalent to Toefl for the US. I had to do it for a myriad of reasons but mainly to prove to the aforesaid 'Commonwealthers' that I can indeed communicate in English. Disgruntled but excited I booked my test for this past Saturday and pictured myself getting 98% because ‘I even have a blog-o!’ How good must my English be? Woke up at the crack of dawn!   I had received warnings of non-refundable expulsion for late-comers so my senses were acutely aware of my alarm clock. Thinking I was too early, I arrived to find a horde (word I used in my speaking test) of anxious-looking people already waiting outside the British Council building. I immediately befriended the most cheerful face sitting at the end of the line who was to become my friend for the whole day. Payal had carried 5 pens, 5 pencils, several rubbers and a sparkling sharpener

Saving Mandy

When you have influence, it is your duty to stand up for others and help others up too We had so much in common.  We were both born and grew up in the same sleepy hometown of Bulawayo, almost same neighborhood. We attended the same high school, some years apart, but both proud and loud Convent girls. At some point, we must have taken the same Parklands surburb bus from City Hall to home. Our siblings almost same age-groups; our families and friends intertwined all the way back to roots in Dombodema rural home. We both went on to study medicine, she did dentistry, I did MBChB. But eventually we both did a masters in Public Health in the same programme at the University of Zimbabwe. We both got married and set up home in Harare. Bulawayo girls stick together when they arrive in the big bad city. When I had Anashe, she had Siyabonga. We were both pregnant in 2018. Being senior medical professionals we both had access to the “best” medical care. We both had Cesarian Sections and